An Amazon Machine Image (AMI) provides the information required to launch an instance.
You can launch multiple instances from a single AMI when you need multiple instances with the same configuration. You can use different AMIs to launch instances when you need instances with different configurations.
We have learned to create an AMI using snapshot. After you create AMI, you can use it to launch new instances. You can copy an AMI within the same region or to different regions. When you no longer require an AMI, you can deregister it.
Copying Image or AMI :
- Click AMI under IMAGES section, Select the AMI you created, click Actions, click Copy AMI.
- We can move across regions from current region to destination region. Select destination region and you can also turn on encryption. Then click Copy AMI.
- Change the region and check under AMI whether the image has been created or not.
- Image can be used to launch new instance and if not in use, delete it.
- To delete AMI, term Deregister is used.